Thursday, December 27, 2007

TOW Drew Talks About Chicago: Part 2

Onto Part Two of this entry…

I don’t know if it is the adjustment to post-graduation life or having to adjust to new territory, but I definitely have exhibited some very “Un-Drew-like” behaviors since moving to the city. Let me list a few:

1) I have a real sleeping pattern now. I realize this probably comes with working a 9 to 5 job, but I definitely have been getting eight or more hours of sleep a day. Also, I don’t find myself taking naps ever anymore. However, this also means that I regularly go to bed around 11, never later than 12AM. Also, I’ve been known to go to sleep as early as 9PM to wake up at 6AM to work out (This tends to screw me up on the weekends, especially when I want to go out. I can’t seem to get myself to go out longer than 1-1:30AM; often I end up falling asleep at friends’ couches when I’m hanging out.

2) I work out… almost religiously. I got a membership to the Y back in October, but I didn’t really start utilizing it until November when I started actually lifting weights. I used to lift minimally in college, but I didn’t actually make a concerted effort to tone up/bulk up until now. It’s only been two months, but already I’m starting to look better than ever and I’m at a weight that I haven’t seen since the end of high school. Along with this, I’ve started to get into running; I plan on doing a 10K with my sister in Traverse City and perhaps doing the half-marathon for the Chicago Marathon in September (if I am still in Chicago by then).

3) I’ve turned into a general health-nut. This change sort of makes sense, especially since I am a newly-trained nutrition educator. However, the extent to which I’ve changed my diet is quite frightening. Especially during my senior year, my diet was downright atrocious (think Slim-Fasts during much of the week, supplemented with bar food throughout the weekend.) Now, I find myself eating only brown rice and whole grains, cutting all trans fat out of my diet, and supplementing most of my meals with vegetables. Even my roommates, who were quite healthy to begin with, are amazed at my sudden change in diet. Along with this, there’s 3a) I rarely go out/drink anymore. I tend to spend my weekends reading (especially reading… I’ve finished about 7-8 books since moving to the city), watching TV or exploring the city. However, the few times I have gone out, I’ve definitely knocked myself out with the alcohol.

4) I started dating again. Well, perhaps this isn’t necessarily a “Un-Drew-like” behavior, but I definitely have gotten my footing back in the relationship department. I don’t know if it’s being a whole time zone away from JDM or if Chicago men are just more attracted to me in general, but I haven’t had that hard of a time finding dates As soon as I got to the city, I met a Filipino guy, but that turned out to be a total bust. Immediately after that, I went on a date or two with a Chicago police officer; he was an attractive and sweet guy, but by seeing him I quickly reaffirmed that I cannot be with guys more than five years older than me (I have to be with someone who’s on the same wavelength as me, lifewise.) A few weeks after that, I started dating a guy I met through a mutual friend of my roommate’s. At face value, he seemed like a guy that I could see myself dating: light-haired, tall, masculine-faced, nice frame. However, we didn’t really share that much in common (his main interests included writing his fantasy novel and playing Dungeons and Dragons.) Everything from conversation to intimacy seemed quite labored on both our ends and we mutually ended it after the 4th-5th date. Despite not finding anyone yet, I must say it’s done a helluva lot for my confidence in that realm. I’m in no real hurry to find anyone right now, but I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to developing a relationship again if the opportunity presented itself.

While “Un-Drew-like”, I’d have to say these changes in my behavior has done me quite well. I haven’t been this happy and confident since sophomore year of college and I’m definitely in the best shape of my life. I guess taking some time off after school was the best thing I could’ve done for myself, although I’m starting to stress a little bit about what lies ahead after July…

…but that’s for another entry. ;-)

No comments: